This full-time position is responsible for keeping up with inventory flow in a fast paced, high capacity setting.
The Associate’s assignments will mainly be in the workroom, including the sorting, cleaning and pricing of housewares, crafts and materials in the workroom area: sorting, cleaning and pricing donated seasonal goods, and maintaining a flow of goods to the retail floor.
All MCC workers are expected to exhibit a commitment to: a personal Christian faith and discipleship; active participation in a Christian church or Christian community; and nonviolent peacemaking. MCC is an equal opportunity employer, committed to employment equity. MCC values diversity and invites all qualified candidates to apply.
- Self-motivated and willing to take initiative while at the same time willing to work as a team with staff and volunteers
- Ability to create an atmosphere of a positive Christian presence within the shop
- Strong interpersonal skills with people of all ages and backgrounds
- Willing and able to work with a variety of people in a friendly way
- As a retail business – must be willing and able to work a variety of hours including evenings and Saturdays
- Ability to lift 50 lbs. and exert 11 to 25 lbs. of force frequently
- Requires about 7.5 or more hours of intermittent standing or walking in a standard workday
- Ability to repeatedly bend or stoop to floor level shelves and able to reach upper shelves with use of a stool or a ladder when necessary
- Sitting may be required only intermittently and occasionally
- Ability to make quick and thoughtful decisions
- Basic computer skills (MS Word, MS Excel, Internet)
- Healthy balance of patience and energy
- Heart for justice, active peacemaking and global understanding
- Valid ‘G’ Ontario driver’s license
- Police vulnerable sector check (required upon hire)
- Legally able to work in Canada
- Experience working with volunteers
- Awareness of second hand market, retail trends and merchandising
- Knowledge of crafting/sewing
he Associate’s main assignment will be in the housewares, seasonal, craft and material (sewing) departments.
The Associate will also assist in the retail area: as a cashier, merchandising and replenishing shelves while maintaining shop cleanliness.
The Associate will work in close collaboration with all of the Co-ordinators/Managers of the shop and is accountable to the General Manager.
As required, the Associate will receive health and safety training including WHMIS and First AID, CPR upon hire.
• Share the news about the New Hamburg Thrift Centre and the network in the community
• Perform other job related duties as assigned
• Participate in MCCO orientations, provincial meetings, Peace Conference and Staff Development Day
• Participate in a local faith community, being willing to use personal gifts within this community and model nonviolent peacemaking through respectful interaction with others
• Maintain a high level of integrity, reflecting Christian respect and Christ's unconditional love to those with whom you work, including colleagues, partner agencies, the homeless and marginalized
• Answer inquiries about MCC from constituency and general public; communicate MCC's values, articulating the importance of MCC's criteria for workers, all of whom serve as representatives of the Mennonite and Be in Christ churches which support MCC
• Model nonviolent peacemaking through respectful daily interactions with staff and the public