For nearly 40 years, Redeemer University College has stood out across Canada for its commitment to a Christian undergraduate liberal arts and sciences education that develops the whole person. Rooted in a Reformed Biblical worldview, and including a diverse community representing over 50 Christian denominations, Redeemer seeks to answer the fundamental questions about where we fit into God’s story while it prepares students to engage in society’s biggest challenges. A rigorous academic program with an interdisciplinary core is supported by a vibrant community characterized by caring discipleship. The result is an enriching and transformational educational experience integrating faith, learning and service.
Redeemer offers 39 majors and streams that lead to either a Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Education degree. Redeemer currently serves nearly 800 students, with almost 100 faculty and growing. Faculty are engaged in teaching, service to the community, and research, some of which is supported in part by the Natural Sciences & Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC), the Social Sciences & Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC), and other funding agencies and donors.
A privately funded and publicly chartered institution, Redeemer offers excellent Christ-centred undergraduate teaching, strong investments in research, rich student-faculty interaction, and unique opportunities for experiential and holistic learning. As a member of Universities Canada, Redeemer produces graduates who are accepted into graduate programs across the continent and beyond. In recent national surveys, Redeemer students have ranked the school as one of the top universities in Canada for overall student satisfaction, especially for providing a nurturing and challenging academic environment along with its warm on-campus community.
Located on a beautiful 86-acre campus in Hamilton, Ontario, Redeemer operates under a charter from the Government of Ontario and is a member of Universities Canada (UC), the Council for Christian Colleges and Universities (CCCU), and the Canadian Council of Christian Charities (CCCC).
The Executive Assistant to the President (“EA” hereinafter) is responsible for assisting the President with administrative and clerical tasks and other sensitive and confidential matters concerning the University, including public relations, and board relations, so that the President may effectively represent the University to its various constituents.
- Manage and schedule all internal appointments of the President and monitor the daily schedule of the President
- In coordination with the External Relations staff, Manage, coordinate, and schedule all external appointments of the President.
- Coordinate, prepare and distribute Board of Governors’ reports and plan for four Board meetings per year.
- In consultation with the President, plan, coordinate and execute Redeemer social events for the President’s Office.
- Collate the Annual Report in coordination with the Communications & Marketing Department.
- Plan and coordinate the Annual General Meeting of the membership of Redeemer.
- Manage an information record system for various events and mailings.
- Process correspondence (and draft responses as directed) for the President’s office.
- Prepare and distribute agendas for President’s Council, Campus Planning, Government Relations, and Budget Planning Committee meetings.
- Take minutes at meetings of President’s Council, the Governance Committee, and the Board of Governors.
- Make travel arrangements for the President.
- Order refreshments for meetings and appointments as needed.
- Maintain record of visits, names and contact information of members of the corporate community.
- Arrange faculty interviews with the President.
- Prepare PowerPoint presentations when needed.
- Maintain policy handbooks, and policy and procedure manuals as directed.
- Work together with graphic designers when invitations and programs are needed for events.
Preferred Skills and Attributes:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills for processing, preparing and writing letters and reports.
- Good public relations skills for interactions with church groups, donors and external public.
- Strong organizational and time-management skills for organizing events and meetings.
- Detail orientated for maintenance of proper record and filing system.
- Accounting skills to do a small amount of budgeting.
- Decision-making skills to direct inquiries to proper person or area.
- Interpersonal skills to host a wide variety of guests and visitors.
- Computer skills to support the above activities including preparation of presentations.
- Ability to work extended hours while preparing for Board of Governors meetings or other major events (5-6 times per year).
- Ability to work on Friday and Saturdays four times a year for Board of Governors meetings and one Friday evening a year for the Annual General Membership meeting.
- Understanding of, and commitment to Redeemer University College (mission, values, and Reformed Christian identity) and the ability to articulate its mission effectively and persuasively.
- Participate in communal activity that supports and encourages a university campus environment where the holistic development of all persons embodies Christian principles that advance the mission and Christian character of Redeemer University College.
- A Bachelor’s Degree and/or equivalent is required, plus a minimum of 3 years experience in an executive office. Experience in a university or post-secondary environment is an asset.
Position Reports to: President
Submit Applications to: HR@redeemer.ca (please quote Position Title in Subject line)
Expiry Date: DECEMBER 9, 2019
Applicants are requested to email their application materials and include a statement that articulates their faith perspective and its relation to the mission of Redeemer University College. A range of qualifications are evaluated including distinguishing characteristics that demonstrate congruence with our identity as a university in the Protestant and Reformed Christian tradition. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.