This hourly part-time position is responsible for keeping up with inventory flow in a fast paced, high capacity setting.
The Associate’s assignments will mainly be in the workroom, including the receiving area: loading and unloading vehicles and sorting donated items, in the workroom area: cleaning and pricing donated and seasonal goods, organization of rePurpose Centre items and maintaining a flow of goods to the retail floor.
The Associate will also assist in the retail area: as a cashier, merchandising and replenishing shelves while maintaining shop cleanliness.
Working hours will include evenings as well as every other Saturday.
The Associate will work in close collaboration with all of the Co-ordinators/Managers of the shop and is accountable to the General Manager.
As required, the Associate will receive health and safety training including WHMIS and First AID, CPR upon hire.
MCC Thrift & Gift seeks to be a friendly, caring presence in the community, showing value and respect to all. Practicing and promoting faithful stewardship and care for God's creation and raising funds for MCC are also key components to the mission statement of this and other MCCO Thrift Shops.
MCC is a charitable organization that partners with churches and community organizations worldwide to walk with people who are disadvantaged. MCC supports activities that provide emergency assistance, reduce poverty, and promote healthy communities, sustainable living and alternatives to violence. As an internationally recognized NGO, MCC currently serves in 57 countries with 716 partners, 1133 staff and 40,000 volunteers.
All MCC workers are expected to exhibit a commitment to: a personal Christian faith and discipleship; active participation in a Christian church or Christian community; and nonviolent peacemaking. MCC is an equal opportunity employer, committed to employment equity. MCC values diversity and invites all qualified candidates to apply.
- Self-motivated and willing to take initiative while at the same time willing to work as a team with staff and volunteers
- Ability to create an atmosphere of a positive Christian presence within the shop
- Strong interpersonal skills with people of all ages and backgrounds
- Willing and able to work with a variety of people in a friendly way
- As a retail business – must be willing and able to work a variety of hours including evenings and Saturdays
- Ability to lift 50 lbs. and exert 11 to 25 lbs. of force frequently
- Requires about 6 or more hours of intermittent standing or walking in a standard workday
- Ability to repeatedly bend or stoop to floor level shelves and able to reach upper shelves with use of a stool or a ladder when necessary
- Sitting may be required only intermittently and occasionally
- Ability to make quick and thoughtful decisions
- Basic computer skills (MS Word, MS Excel, Internet)
- Healthy balance of patience and energy
- Heart for justice, active peacemaking and global understanding
- Valid ‘G’ Ontario driver’s license
- Police vulnerable sector check (required upon hire)
- Legally able to work in Canada
- Experience working with volunteers
- Awareness of second hand market, retail trends and merchandising
- Knowledge of antiques and collectibles
• Serve as a brand advocate and ambassador for MCC mission and values in every interaction with customers and donors
• Support Co-ordinators/Managers as needed to meet the demands of daily operations
• Assist with special events and projects as needed
• Establish and maintain positive working relationships with volunteers
• Greet customers and donors, respond to questions and provide outstanding customer service.
Workroom and Retail
• Be proactive in maintaining clean work spaces that meet health & safety standards, in the workroom and on the retail floor
• Assist in the ongoing organization of receiving area, workroom, rePurpose Centre items and seasonal storage
• Sort, clean and price donations in various departments as needed
• Use a discernable eye when dealing with antiques and collectibles, ensuring one of a kind pieces are brought to the attention of the appropriate assistant manager
• Assist in maintaining the stock on the floor and setting up merchandise displays on the sales floor
• Utilize the POS system to cash customers out or administer returns, covering cash when needed
• Assist staff and volunteers with loading rePurpose truck and unloading donors’ vehicles
• Comply with all policy and regulation regarding donation acceptance
• Assist with kitchen responsibilities (set up, clean up, etc.)
• Share the news about MCC and MCC Thrift Shops in the community
• Perform other job related duties as assigned
• Participate in MCCO orientations, provincial meetings, Peace Conference and Staff Development Day
• Participate in a local faith community, being willing to use personal gifts within this community and model nonviolent peacemaking through respectful interaction with others
• Maintain a high level of integrity, reflecting Christian respect and Christ's unconditional love to those with whom you work, including colleagues, partner agencies, the homeless and marginalized
• Answer inquiries about MCC from constituency and general public; communicate MCC's values
• Model nonviolent peacemaking through respectful daily interactions with staff and the public
Please note- This posting closes on October 14