Pastor of Children’s Ministry – Job Description
Scarborough Chinese Baptist Church (SCBC) is a multilingual church with 3 congregations: English, Cantonese and Mandarin. The pastors for Children’s Ministry are to:
- Equip families in the raising of their children with the knowledge of God’s Word and love
- Nurture children within our church body through the implementation of creative programs and events that help children grow spiritually, emotionally, and relationally to other children and adults
- Reach out into the community
We are seeking a full-time Pastor of Children’s Ministry who will minister to the children in our midst (infants through grade 6). You will provide energetic leadership in executing current programs and have enthusiasm and vision to expand the ministry. You will work in collaboration with the pastoral and lay leadership teams that minister to children.
This position reports directly to the Charge Pastor of Children’s Ministry.
The Pastor of Children’s Ministry will manage various aspects of programming for children including, but not limited to:
- Teaching and preaching at children’s worship services
- Planning, coordinating, and executing children and family outreach programs (such as SummerFun, Kids Bible Club, special programs, etc.)
- Recruiting, training, leading and supporting Children’s Ministry volunteers
- Developing and organizing a Welcome Ministry
- Reach and assimilate new children and families into the life and ministry of SCBC
- Develop a newcomer ministry which includes but not limited to raising up and training of greeters and ushers
- Develop visitation teams to newcomers
- Develop “publicity” material (written, video, web) with a newcomer in mind. This material will answer the questions of a new comer and explain the workings of Children’s Ministry at SCBC.
- Providing Pastoral Care and developing the Care Ministry
- Encouraging, enabling and equipping leaders and children to live in relationships of mutual care and support
- Communicating with parents and providing support they need for spiritual leadership at home
- Providing care for children and families within the church, including hospital visits and follow-up
- Developing and organizing the Prayer Ministry
- Coordinate ministry wide prayer using social media, prayer meetings, prayer chain and creative prayer initiatives
- Create and maintain an electronic data base to gather and disseminate prayer requests
- Develop and raise up prayer teams
- Facilitate prayer retreats – i.e. prayer walks, silent retreats, and offer teaching opportunities
- Maintaining the Children’s Ministry section of the SCBC website
- Managing check-in procedures and tracking weekly attendance
- Providing Child Safety Training for parents, leaders, volunteers and the congregation as a whole
- Liaising with external vendors to complete and maintain police record checks on Children’s Ministry workers
- Developing annual budgets, goals, and strategies for his/her area of responsibility with the input of the team and provide clear communication with regards to progress, results, and obstacles to the Charge Pastor of Children’s Ministry
- Performing any other ministry related job responsibilities as assigned
- A degree from an accredited academic institution in a related field. Masters of Divinity an asset. Background in child development or education an asset.
- Minimum three years of experience related to Children’s Ministry in a local church or a Christian organization
- A personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Strive for personal spiritual growth through daily Bible reading, prayer, and fellowshipping in a Christian community
- A passion and vision to evangelize to and disciple children with the joint effort of the church and their family at home
- A desire to teach and mentor children with patience and a loving heart
- Experience in recruiting, motivating, equipping and scheduling volunteer leaders to minister to children and families
- Strong capacity for organization, managing conflicts, and problem solving
- Reliable, take initiative, and self-motivated
- Embrace and adapt to growth, change, innovation and creativity
- Strong team player and interpersonal skills
- Fluent in English (written and oral) and excellent communication and administrative skills. Ability to speak Cantonese and/or Mandarin an asset.
- Proficient in basic computer software (MS Office Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook) and the willingness to learn other software (e.g. Publisher, Photoshop, Planning Center)
Upon request, accommodation will be provided for persons with disabilities through all stages of the recruitment and selection process.
Only suitable candidate will be contacted for interview.
Application are being received at firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to:
Search Committee for Children’s Pastor
Scarborough Chinese Baptist Church
3223 Kennedy Road