First Church of the Nazarene is a multi-congregational church with a city-wide reach located in Calgary, Alberta. Our church exists to create Christ-like disciples with a heart for God and a passion for people. One way we do this is through our children’s ministry programs, which typically include Sunday mornings and Wednesday evenings.
We are looking for a high-energy part time (0.5) Pastor to Families with Children who is passionate about children and their families. This role would begin in March 2021, and is through December 31, 2021. The position will be evaluated in the late fall 2021 with the possibility of a long term contract. Salary is commensurate with relevant experience and education. The Pastor to Families with Children is responsible for supporting parents in providing high-quality kids’ programming at First Naz for children from birth through grade 6.
- Provide primary care for the spiritual and emotional development of First Church children from birth to grade six, especially through online programs
- Provide training and support to parents in ways that will enable them to lead their children to spiritual and emotional growth at home
- Draw children, youth, and families from the community into the life of the church
- Provide programs, primarily online during the COVID pandemic, for children primarily on Sunday mornings and Wednesday evenings (AWANA), including managing volunteer teams, setup/teardown, preparing and organizing teaching materials, and coordinating special projects/events throughout the year
- Assist with enforcement of safety and abuse prevention guidelines, including volunteer background checks and safety training
- In addition to this role, he or she will also be available to take on other leadership responsibilities, in consultation with the Senior Pastor
- Support and train volunteers
- Meet with and mentor children and their parents
- Regularly pray for and encourage children and their parents
- Attend staff meetings, trainings, and retreats as directed by Senior Pastor
- Collaborate with the youth pastor to ensure transition between children’s and youth ministries
- Continue to develop as a Christian leader, including networking, training, and ongoing education
- Maintain and further an online presence during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Successful completion of a bachelor’s degree is desired, especially a degree in Christian Ministry and/or Children’s Ministry
- If the successful applicant is not currently licenced in the Nazarene church, he or she will be expected to begin that process with the end goal of ordination
- Support and promote First Church’s beliefs, mission, vision, and values
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work both in teams and independently
- Excellent communication and conflict resolution skills
- Ability to work in a cross-cultural, multi-generational context
- Very good computer skills, including proficiency in MS Office
- This is a part-time position
- Must be available to work Sunday mornings, Wednesday evenings, and all services.
For more information, please go to www.firstnaz.ca. If you are interested in this employment opportunity, please submit your cover letter and resumé to firstname.lastname@example.org. All applications will be reviewed but only those selected for interviews will be contacted. The application deadline is February 16, 2021.