Revised December 2018
Selection and Placement Coordinator
SIM is a 125-year old catalyst for global missions that goes above in prayer and beyond in care to bring good news to hard places because there are people living and dying without the gospel. The vision of SIM is to see a witness to Christ’s love where He is least known, disciples of Jesus expressing God’s love in their communities, and Christ-centered churches among all peoples. SIM Canada is part of an international mission organization with more than 4,000 ministry workers, serving in more than 70 countries, from over 60 different diverse nationalities. We are both a sending and receiving agency, sending people from Canada, receiving people to Canada, and serving in Canada alongside the church. We are looking for people who love Jesus and who are willing to use their skills on one of our ministry teams worldwide.
We’re searching for a Selection and Placement Coordinator will work with Canadian applicants towards cross cultural engagement (either locally or overseas) in addition to providing support to the Personnel Administrator. The selection and placement process is primarily a relational one, and time needs to be invested in building good relationships so that both SIM and the applicant can work through the process together, and logistical support can be provided. It is an opportunity for discipling and growth for the applicant. The aim of the selection process is for SIM, the Sending Church and the person applying to discern together if it is God’s will and calling, at this time, for them to use their gifts and skills to serve God with SIM, and whatever the outcome, that it should be a positive and developmental experience.
This position reports directly to the Director of Mobilization, and is part of the Mobilization “GO Team” that walks with people from the initial inquiry stage all the way to serving on the field.
- Facilitate the application process for prospective ministry workers (short-term, mid-term and long-term)
- Search through our Ministry Opportunities database and communicate with the field offices to identify suitable placements for candidates and to coordinate placement details
- Maintain the electronic Personnel Files
- Update statuses and details in the various databases as they move through the process
- Supporting the Personnel Administrator in various duties
- Put into practice procedures from the “SIM International Personnel Principles & Practices” Handbook
- As it relates specifically to short-term and mid-term ministry workers (aka. “Associates”):
- Coordinate the preparations for service
- Create trip budgets
- Monitor their raised funds and their financial accounts with SIM
- Facilitate one-day office visits/orientations
- Facilitate and coordinate the re-entry and debrief of missionaries
- As it relates to long-term ministry workers (aka. “Members”):
- Assist the Personnel Coordinator with pre-field Orientation
- Liaises with: Director of Mobilization, GO Team, Field Personnel, TCK Coordinator, Finance Office, Health Coordinator, Personnel Administrator, Training Coordinator, Deputy Director, Executive Director
- Spiritual and personal maturity, plus commitment to learn and grow
- A passion for long-term Christian ministry
- Sensitivity and discernment in dealing with people
- Administrative ability to keep the procedures moving
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Well organized, detail oriented, and able to multitask with great follow-up skills
- Proven ability to build effective relationships
- Experience in managing multiple priorities, administrative coordination and logistics
- Critical thinking skills and sound judgment
- A sense of team work
- Willingness to help with general tasks around the office
- Proficient in using Microsoft Office Suite
- Familiarity with and commitment to SIM’s vision, strategy and ministries
- Teaching ability to communicate well at the pre-field preparation stage
- Some overseas experience, particularly with SIM
- Previous experience in Personnel Ministries with a Missions Agency
- Bilingual in French and English
All Members of the National Office are expected to be involved in the following:
- Attend Daily Prayer Chapels (8:30 AM – 9:00 AM)
- Attend Monthly Half Day of Prayer (every second Wednesday of the month) and the Annual Founder’s Day
- Attend Bi-Weekly Leadership Meetings
- Answer email and phone calls promptly
- Respond to other activities as given by Supervisor or Group Leader
- Participate on staff Committees as needed or have interest
Work Location: SIM Canada National Office - 10 Huntingdale Blvd, Scarborough, ON, M1W 2S5
Work Hours: Full-time position, working 5 days a week, 7.5 hours a day, plus a 45-minute lunch (8:30 AM – 4:45 PM).
SIM Mission Statement:
Convinced that no one should live and die without hearing God's good news, we believe that He has called us to make disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ in communities where he is least known.
Therefore, compelled by God's great love and empowered by the Holy Spirit…
- We cross barriers to proclaim the crucified and risen Christ, expressing His love and compassion among those who live and die without Him,
- We make disciples who will trust and obey Jesus, and become part of Christ-centered churches,
- We work together with churches to fulfill God's mission across cultures locally and globally,
- We facilitate the participation in cross-cultural ministry of those whom God is calling.
SIM Canada welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the bona-fide for the open position. Applicants need to make their requirements known when contacted.