Health Partners International Canada (HPIC) is seeking an experienced Director of Philanthropy to expand our fundraising efforts across Canada. This newly created role is critical to growing our donor base and supporter engagement and raise the profile of HPIC across Canada. We are seeking an innovative leader and strategist to increase engagement and financial support for the organization.
Reporting to the President, the Director helps to shape a critical strategies in all areas of fundraising with accountabilities for visioning, planning, and ensuring the organization achieves it financial targets and most importantly to reach the impact of delivering health and hope in the developing world.
The Director of Philanthropy will be responsible for developing the strategic direction for HPIC’s national fundraising communications activities in every aspect of giving, including Major Gifts, Corporate Sponsorships, events and donor engagement at all levels.
With a primary focus on new donor engagement and expanding the organization’s donor base, the Director will work closely with HPICs Board, Management team as well as the Director of Donor relations to expand HPIC’s donor audience.
The successful candidate requires strong communication skills as well as a natural compassionate for international aid. With a high-degree of accountability and strong financial acumen, the Director will steer HPIC towards significant and major milestones in donor engagement, awareness, and impact.
The Director performs the following responsibilities and duties in accordance with the vision and values of HPIC:
Strategic planning and Implementation
- Develop and implement strategies and campaigns for cultivating expanded donor engagement within the GTA and western regions through fundraising initiatives, as well as strengthen corporate, community and workplace giving relationships to leverage fundraising initiatives with defined steps and milestones
- Input and participation in the development, oversight to implementation of the organization’s strategic plans
- Lead, manage and actively engage in stewardship of partners, sponsors and donors creating positive and enduring relationships.
- Build and oversee solid prospect management to identify new opportunities for funding and partnerships
- Use own network and connect with new donors to identify new opportunities for charitable funding and partnerships
- In collaboration with the Director of Donor Relations, manage and oversee all cultivation/solicitation and donor/sponsor/ partner relations strategies and activities
- Build community relations and serve as a community liaison when necessary.
- Oversee the development of tools and techniques to further develop existing fund development plan
Marketing and Communications
- In collaboration with HPIC management team, develop and define HPICs brand and impact to current and potential donors
- Help develop public relations, advertising, marketing and communications strategy plans.
Senior Management Role
- Develop and management of fundraising revenue targets and expense budget
- Participate in the management of the organization’s budget to inform financial direction and decision making for the organization
- Liaise with Program Managers to lend expertise and to support consistency in applications for grants and funding opportunities
- Engage and work with volunteer committees, volunteers as needed
Operations and Admin
- Provide oversight and direction to HPIC CRM database and donor contact strategies.
- Foster the growth of best practices in gift processing, data management and donor communications, following CRA guidelines for gift acceptance, accounting, acknowledgment and donor management
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
To be successful in this challenging role, the Director will have the following:
- Sound knowledge and proven experience with all aspects of fundraising with a minimum of 4-5 years of professional experience in philanthropy/fundraising, or related industry.
- Degree in a relevant discipline or holds the designation of CFRE fundraising professional and membership in a fundraising professional association is an asset
- Superior skills in working collaboratively with multiple stakeholders and building strong relationships
- Strong business acumen and knowledge of not-for-profit best practices
- Comfort in working with C-suite executives and high net-worth individuals
- Excellent interpersonal, public speaking and facilitating skills,
- Independent self-starter capable of managing and prioritizing multiple time-sensitive priorities
- Proficient at fostering an inclusive work environment
- Leads by example-accountable to goals
- Effective planning and problem-solving skills
- Professionalism, respect for confidentiality and the ability to make wise decisions and represent HPIC with integrity at all times
- Experience with digital fundraising strategies in considered an asset
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Suite, fundraising databases, internet searches
- Flexible time required for evening meetings/events
- Ability to travel within Canada and potentially International as required.
If you are looking to join a collaborative team in a rewarding and challenging position and have the above qualifications, please forward your resume, cover letter with salary range expectations.
Who We Are
HPIC is a registered Canadian charity committed to providing access to medicine and improve health in vulnerable communities. Building on a 30-year history of working with partner agencies and pharmaceutical donors to provide strategic, sustainable solutions that help communities transform themselves, creating hope and lasting, positive change.
This is a key moment in time for HPIC, as new leadership, strong Board support and strategic vision has paved the way for new initiatives – to better enable the organization to move forward and re-affirm our role as a unique channel for medicines and health programs in the developing world