This 1 year contract salaried full-time position is responsible for keeping up with inventory flow in a fast paced, high capacity setting. Expected end date April 20,2021 as this role is covering a Maternity Leave.
The Associate will receive goods and prepare goods for presentation and sale. This role supports receiving by loading and unloading of vehicles and sorting donations. It also supports workroom efforts by organizing and maintaining flow of workroom inventory, cleaning, prepping and pricing donations. Supports retail by maintaining stock, displaying goods for sale and as a cashier when needed. The person, in this position will work closely with the Retail Manager, Receiving Manager and General Manager to maintain a flow of goods. As a retail location, you will need to work some evenings and every other Saturday.
The Associate will have assignments in the retail area: as a cashier, replenishing shelves, maintaining shop cleanliness and in the workroom area: receiving and sorting donated items, prepping furniture, organization of donated and seasonal goods, organization of rePurpose Centre items and maintaining a flow of goods to retail floor.
The Associate will work in close collaboration with the Receiving Manager and Retail Manager and is accountable to the Care and Share Production Manager.
As required, the Associate will receive health and safety training including WHMIS and First AID, CPR upon hire.
The Care & Share Thrift Shop seeks to be a friendly, caring presence in the community, showing value and respect to all. Practicing and promoting faithful stewardship and care for God's creation and raising funds for MCC are also key components to the mission statement of this and other MCCO Thrift Shops.
MCC is a charitable organization that partners with churches and community organizations worldwide to walk with people who are disadvantaged. MCC supports activities that provide emergency assistance, reduce poverty, and promote healthy communities, sustainable living and alternatives to violence. As an internationally recognized NGO, MCC currently serves in 57 countries with 716 partners, 1133 staff and 40,000 volunteers.
All MCC workers are expected to exhibit a commitment to: a personal Christian faith and discipleship; active participation in a Christian church or Christian community; and nonviolent peacemaking. MCC is an equal opportunity employer, committed to employment equity. MCC values diversity and invites all qualified candidates to apply.
- Self-motivated and willing to take initiative while at the same time willing to work as a team with the Care & Share Managers, other staff and volunteers
- Ability to create an atmosphere of a positive Christian presence within the shop
- Strong interpersonal skills with people of all ages and backgrounds
- Willing and able to work with a variety of people in a friendly way
- Ability to lift 50 lbs. and exert 11 to 25 lbs. of force frequently
- Requires about 6 or more hours of intermittent standing or walking in a standard workday
- Ability to repeatedly bend or stoop to floor level shelves and able to reach upper shelves with use of a stool or a ladder when necessary
- Sitting may be required only intermittently and occasionally
- Ability to make quick and thoughtful decisions
- Basic computer skills (MS Word, MS Excel, Internet)
- Healthy balance of patience and energy
- Heart for justice, active peacemaking and global understanding
- Valid ‘G’ Ontario driver’s license
- Police vulnerable sector check (required upon hire)
- Legally able to work in Canada
- Experience working with volunteers
- Awareness of second hand market, retail trends and merchandising
- Knowledge of antiques and collectibles
Workroom and Retail
• With management support, will work with volunteers as they relate to the retail and workroom areas, sharing MCC mission and values with volunteers and donors
• Work with the management staff in the operation of the shop to ensure teamwork and a desirable working and shopping environment
• Assist in the organization of receiving area, workroom, rePurpose Centre items and seasonal storage with the Managers
• Share responsibility in coordinating efficient use of workroom with the Managers
• Clean and price donations for retail floor as needed
• Take proactive actions in maintaining clean work spaces that meet health & safety standards, in the workroom and retail floor
• Assist staff and volunteers with loading rePurpose truck and unloading donors’ vehicles
• Become knowledgeable in policy and regulation regarding donations and apply these
• Use a discernable eye when dealing with antiques and collectibles, ensuring one of a kind pieces are treated accordingly – silent auction
• Along with the Assistant Manager of Retail, maintain a stocked retail space
• Assist as a cashier when needed, providing excellent customer service
Share the news about the Care & Share Thrift Shop and the network in the community
• Perform other job related duties as assigned
• Participate in MCCO orientations, provincial meetings, Peace Conference and Staff Development Day
• Participate in a local faith community, being willing to use personal gifts within this community and model nonviolent peacemaking through respectful interaction with others
• Maintain a high level of integrity, reflecting Christian respect and Christ's unconditional love to those with whom you work, including colleagues, partner agencies, the homeless and marginalized
• Answer inquiries about MCC from constituency and general public; communicate MCC's values, articulating the importance of MCC's criteria for workers, all of whom serve as representatives of the Mennonite and Be in Christ churches which support MCC
• Model nonviolent peacemaking through respectful daily interactions with staff and the public