Director of Finance
Youth for Christ Canada
Youth for Christ Canada (YFC Canada) continually seeks to reach more and more young people with the hope of the gospel. As part of the YFC Canada National Team, the Director of Finance at Youth for Christ Canada (“YFC”) is responsible for oversight of the YFC financial department (annual budget of approximately $2,500,000). The Finance Director also assists/consults among the 31 chapters with an annual budget of approximately $41,000,000. This position is responsible for developing a culture in the team of excellence and first class service to the field.
This position reports directly to the National Director and serves as a member of the Youth for Christ Leadership Team.
SPIRITUAL AND PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT
- Spend time in spiritual reflection and development.
- Take bi-annual spiritual retreat at Honeymoon Bay Retreat Centre.
- Completion of the YFC Canada Credentialing process (admin track).
- Attend YFC Regional and National conferences as requested by your supervisor.
- Participate in training and development courses, conferences and workshops as approved by supervisor.
- Be a Spiritual leader and witness to the staff of YFC and to the public.
- Ensure that office staff participate in regular devotional and prayer time in the office.
- MPD (Ministry Partner Development) – this includes regular communication updates with prayer partners inviting them to pray for and financially support your ministry role and the general fund of YFC Canada.
ACCOUNTING & FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT
- Obtain and maintain a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure.
- Ensure an accurate and timely monthly and year end close about each of the accounting cycles for all YFC Group of Charities.
- Oversee monthly end balances.
- Prepare and submit required tax submissions for the group of charities.
- Responsible for ensuring International Agency Agreements are in place to ensure the distribution of funding and reporting requirements are completed according to CRA compliance.
- Maintain the process of staff reimbursements and accounts payable for all group of charities.
- Maintain the process for recording income and other transactions within the accounting system
- Ensure the timely reporting of all monthly financial information.
- Ensure that processes are in place for all daily banking requirements.
- Ensure the accurate and timely processing of payroll transactions is fulfilled.
- Responsible for budgets and forecasting activities.
- Collaborates with the other department managers to support overall organizations goals and objectives.
- Monitors and analyzes department work to develop more efficient procedures and use of resources while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
- Advises staff regarding the handling of non-routine reporting transactions.
- Responds to inquiries from the National Director, and other organizational wide managers regarding financial results, special reporting requests and the like.
- Ensure a clean and timely year-end audit(s).
- Oversee special projects and workflow process improvements.
STAFF SUPERVISION & TRAINING
- Supervise the Accounting and Administration Team to ensure all administration and accounting deadlines are met.
- Assist in development and implementation of new procedures and features to enhance the workflow of the department.
- Provide training to new and existing staff as needed in the area of accounting processes and procedures.
- Work with each direct report to establish goals and objectives for each year and monitor and advise on the progress to enhance the professional development of staff.
- Attending, face to face meetings of entire staff team.
- Participating in weekly meetings with your supervisor.
- Weekly meetings with your staff team.
- Other meetings as necessary to meet the financial management needs of YFC.
- Participating in Operations Lead Team Weekly Conference / Video Call Meetings.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The ideal candidate possesses exceptional financial and communication skills, has a passion for seeing Canada’s youth become lifelong followers of Jesus and is an Ideal Team Player. (see Ideal Team Player, by Patrick Lencioni)
The successful candidate will have:
- Canadian CPA designation (or equivalent experience)
- Experience working in not-for-profit organizations
- In-depth understanding of Canadian Generally Accepted Account Principles (GAAP)
- Thorough knowledge of Canadian accounting procedures, specifically as they apply to not-for- profit organizations and Fund accounting
- Advanced skill with Microsoft Excel, including SUMIF and Pivot tables
- A high level of accuracy and attention to detail
- A thorough understanding of finance, accounting, legal, insurance, facilities and project management principles.
- Good organizational skills, capable of prioritizing and overseeing several projects at one time.
- Have a vibrant, mission-minded faith
- Strong analytical skills
- Good communications both verbally and written
- Demonstrate a strong theological / biblical understanding
- Practice work / family balance
- Be willing to travel across Canada as required
Further to this overview will be a process of telephone and on-site interviewing. Interested candidates should forward their resume in confidence to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank-you for your interest in this position at Youth for Christ Canada. If you are selected for an interview, you will be contacted within a week.