This casual part-time position is paid hourly and will support the Management Team at New Hamburg Thrift Centre as required.
The Relief Manager will give direction in sorting, and pricing donations, organizing and nurturing volunteers, presenting and maintaining an appealing and effective retail space, and building and enforcing a pleasant and safe atmosphere as needed at the New Hamburg Thrift Centre.
The Relief Manager will be required to work 2 Saturdays plus an average of an additional 5-7 other days per month as needed, potentially more during busy times. This could include any days of the week the shop is open. Coverage for staff during summer holidays will be required plus coverage for meetings and conferences throughout the year. The worker must be very flexible. This position is paid hourly.
The Relief Manager is accountable to the New Hamburg Thrift Centre General Manager.
The New Hamburg Thrift Centre seeks to be a friendly, caring presence in the community, showing value and respect to all. Practicing and promoting faithful stewardship and care for God's creation and raising funds for MCC are also key components to the mission statement of this and other MCCO Thrift Shops.
MCC is a charitable organization that partners with churches and community organizations worldwide to walk with people who are disadvantaged. MCC supports activities that provide emergency assistance, reduce poverty, and promote healthy communities, sustainable living and alternatives to violence. As an internationally recognized NGO, MCC currently serves in 45 countries with 700 partners, 1000 staff and 40,000 volunteers.
The individual must be able to do this physically demanding job.
Work in the warehouse in winter is cooler than the office area.
This position will require various and unpredictable working hours from Monday through Saturday.
All MCC workers are expected to exhibit a commitment to: a personal Christian faith and discipleship; active participation in a Christian church or Christian community; and nonviolent peacemaking. MCC is an equal opportunity employer, committed to employment equity. MCC values diversity and invites all qualified candidates to apply.
- Ability to gain full understanding of all staff roles/responsibilities and able to fill in with limited supervision
- Ability to consistently and tactfully deal with difficult customers and/or volunteers with ability to make quick and thoughtful decisions
- Physical stamina and ability to do heavy lifting (50 lbs)
- Willingness to grow and learn new skills
- Ability to create a positive atmosphere and presence within the shop
- Strong interpersonal skills with people of all ages and backgrounds
- Willing and able to work with a variety of people in a friendly way
- Strong leadership, organizational and management skills
- Basic computer skills
- Healthy balance of patience, humour and energy
- Heart for justice, active peacemaking and global understanding
- A valid Ontario Driver’s license (G)
- Police check will be required once hired
- Must be able to legally work in Canada
- Experience in retail merchandising, second hand market, and customer service
- Self-motivated, able to multi-task, and proven ability to work as part of a team
- Experience with cash handling
- Experience working with volunteers
- Awareness of second hand market, retail trends and merchandising
Receiving, Processing & Retail
• Provide responsible leadership when department manager(s) are away and/or cover shifts for managers in sickness or emergencies as necessary
• Understand roles and responsibilities of each Assistant Manager to be able to step in when needed and assist Production Manager and General Manager as needed
• Perform all daily shop tasks (i.e. directing volunteers, cash, customer service, opening/closing store and workroom, pricing, accepting and declining donations, sorting, rearranging furniture, tidying store displays, etc.)
• Learn policies, practices, and procedures of the shop and communicate as needed
• Answer telephone and respond to questions as required
• Assist with coordinating work and tasks for volunteers and assist with training volunteers
• Lift and move donations (including furniture, receiving, customer carry-out, etc.)
• Sort & price donations and display merchandise
• Cash handling - operating cash registers, relieving volunteers, providing change from safe to clerks, running register and terminal reports to close, bank deposits, etc.)
• Assist with special events as needed
• Assistant with kitchen responsibilities (hosting volunteers, set up, clean up, etc.)
• Be proactive in promoting positive public, staff and client relations
• Provide management support and training to volunteers as necessary
• Share the news about the New Hamburg Thrift Centre and the network in the community
• Participate in MCCO orientations, provincial meetings, and annual meeting
• Participate in a local faith community, being willing to use his/her personal gifts within this community and model nonviolent peacemaking through respectful interaction with others
• Maintain a high level of integrity, reflecting Christian respect and Christ's unconditional love to those with whom you work, including colleagues, volunteers, partner agencies, the homeless and marginalized
• Answer inquiries about MCC from constituency and general public; communicate MCC's values, articulating the importance of MCC's criteria for workers, all of whom serve as representatives of the Mennonite and Be in Christ churches which support MCC
• Model nonviolent peacemaking through respectful daily interactions with staff and the public
This posting closes May 29, 2019