The Mustard Seed is a Christian humanitarian organization whose vision is to build community, grow hope and support change. Intentionally following Jesus Christ and partnering with the community, The Mustard Seed combats the root causes of poverty in Alberta and British Columbia and works to create positive, lasting change in the lives of those we serve. The Mustard Seed provides basic services—food, clothing and housing, and support services—education and employment, to those living in poverty within Alberta and British Columbia.
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the HR Business Partner will be involved in recruitment to drive productivity and engagement providing expertise to successfully achieve strategic goals. The HR Business Partner is responsible for aligning business objectives with employees and management in designated client groups. This position serves as a consultant on human resource-related issues such as employee relations, learning and development, talent management, ethics, and total rewards. The role assesses business objectives to create integrated solutions, formulates partnerships across multiple business units, and maintains a high level of acumen and standards. This position is committed to building a healthy and dynamic workplace culture across the organization.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide subject matter expertise, and support leadership in the development of all people plans including recruitment, talent development, and succession planning, executive coaching needs, etc.
- Provide guidance in the areas of employee and labour relations, strengthening established relationships
- Work closely with management and employees to improve work relationships, build morale, and contribute to retention practices
- Manage and resolve complex employee relations issues
- Conduct effective, thorough and objective investigations
- Provide day-to-day performance management guidance to management (e.g. coaching, counseling, career development, employee disciplinary actions)
- Develop recruitment strategies to attract, identify and source qualified candidates
- Manage full cycle recruiting for all levels of positions including: job postings, sourcing, resume screening, interviewing, and reference checking in coordination with administrative support
- Oversee the training, orientation and on-boarding processes of new employees
- Provide guidance to managers and supervisors in terms of leadership, employee relations, Alberta Employment Standards, human rights, privacy, Health and Safety, etc.
- Act as a resource to managers, supervisors and employees regarding benefits, RRSP plan, pay, policies, and processes
- Facilitate new employee orientation and other internal training as required
- Conduct exit interviews for employees
- Be accessible to managers, supervisors and employees by being visible, available, and collaborative
- Track and monitor WCB claims alongside disability (Medical Absence Benefit/Long Term
- Assist with new HR projects and initiatives when requested
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Handle talent acquisition and recruitment for Calgary Shelter and downtown location
- Develop employee engagement events/awards such as milestone achievements, “Crushed it,” corporate challenges, etc.
- Evaluate training programs—create Staff Development series (e.g. lunch and learns, speaker engagements, seminars/workshops)—topics such as coaching, delegation, conflict, change, decision making, faith development/enrichment
- Develop management boot camp for supervisors to teach new leaders about processes, roles, and resources available to help manage teams
- Provide performance management expertise—review existing program and determine ways to improve system and goal setting
- Update compensation matrix and ensure Boland codes are accurate and reflective of workforce
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Post-Secondary education in Human Resources Management or equivalent combination of experience and education
- 3-5 years progressive human resources experience with a minimum of 3-year multi-level recruitment and employee relations
- A passion for recruiting with knowledge about both proven and new recruitment strategies
- KSAs in the following: business acumen, communication, consultation, ethical standards, cultural awareness, HR expertise, and relationship management
- Ability to take initiative and work independently is a must
- Knowledge of employment law and human rights
- Integrity, discretion and judgment with tact and diplomacy on confidential matters
- Meticulous attention to detail, ability to prioritize and strong time management skills
- Strong organizational skills with effective multi-tasking skills and able to manage multiple business units
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) is essential
- Prior experience with human information systems and/or SharePoint
- This is a permanent full-time position working Monday to Friday from 8 am to 4:30 pm
- Office Setting, extended computer use, sitting, reaching, standing, minimal lifting, walking,
- Mental effort: moderate, periods of high volume workload
- Fast paced and demanding work environment
- Employment Security Check and cleared Driver’s Abstract prior to employment is required
- As The Mustard Seed is a Christian ministry, we require our employees to be in agreement and to sign our statement of faith
- Must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
- We are an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status
Start date: once a suitable candidate is found
Apply online using our Position Application Form on our Careers page. (https://themustardseedhr.wufoo.eu/forms/position-application-form/)
The Mustard Seed offers a competitive compensation package including 100% employer paid extended health and dental benefits for staff and dependents, matching RRSP after one year of service, and wellness days. We embrace the concept of employment equity, which includes fair representation, anti-discrimination and reasonable accommodation.