*This is a term position beginning on the date of hire until March 31, 2018, but has the potential to become permanent.
Since 1975 The Mustard Seed Street Church has been essential in fighting hunger and restoring faith to our community in Greater Victoria. Our operations are nearly 100 percent community funded and include Vancouver Island's largest Food Bank, a Family Centre, Hospitality programs, and an addictions recovery program at Hope Farm Healing Centre. We also offer church services for those seeking a place to belong and grow spiritually. Through these core programs we assist over 5,000 people each month with the help of more than 50 daily volunteers and many generous financial supporters!
The Food Security Manager is responsible for the operation of the Food Security Ministry and the implementation of Food Security Strategy of The Mustard Seed Street Church. Possessing exemplary Christian leadership and management skills, the Manager will be responsible for any Mustard Seed Street Church location operated by the Food Security Team, including all Food Security staff and volunteers, necessary logistics, and health and safety requirements.
The Manager will lead and participate in community and regional initiatives and projects including but not limited to the Food Share Network and its corresponding Action Plan. The fostering and maintenance of relationships with The Mustard Seed Street Church’s non-profit partners is required. Moreover, the Manager will be responsible for The Mustard Seed Street Church’s membership obligations with Food Secure Canada, Food Bank British Columbia and Food Banks Canada.
The Manager is also responsible for grant writing, administration and reporting in relation to the Food Security Strategy, as well as building and maintaining relationships with donors and funders. He or she will implement and support any existing and future food access programs within The Mustard Seed’s Food Security strategy, ministries and programs.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Implementation and fulfillment of The Mustard Seed Street Church’s Vision, Mission and Values, as part of the organization’s leadership team
- Christian Leadership and management of Food Security Team: staff and volunteers
- All Food Security warehousing and assets
- Relevant Food Security administrative requirements
- All necessary Health & Safety best practices
- Implementation and operation of The Mustard Seed Street Church’s Food Security Strategy
- Effective communications with Food Security Team, donors, granting agencies, funders, vendors, partner agencies, media, staff, volunteers and general public
- In collaboration with the Executive Director, participation and representation of The Mustard Seed Street Church in all local, provincial and national associations relevant to the implementation of the Food Security Strategy
- Project management, design and implementation
- Business planning, needs based assessments and relevant research
- Grant writing and reporting
- Budget planning and implementation
- Social Enterprise exploration, design and implementation
- Participation in Mustard Seed Street Church staff and volunteer meetings and training opportunities as appropriate
- Other duties as required
- 5 years managerial experience in social service or non-profit field;
- Degree in Social Work, Community Development, Business Administration or related field
- Required – Acceptable Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Clearance;
- Required – Computer Skills: working knowledge of Microsoft office suite; competency in data collection, entry and project management software;
- Required – Driver’s License and acceptable abstract
- Asset - Experience in warehousing is an asset;
- Asset – Forklift certification
- Asset – Standard First Aid and CPR-C
- Asset – Food Safe; WHIMIS
- Asset- ASSIST, Mental Health First Aid, conflict resolution training
- Asset- Experienced in training, scheduling and managing volunteers
- Exceptional leadership and management skills
- Exceptional interpersonal skills
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organizational and task orientation skills
- Excellent critical thinking skills and research skills
- Ability to prioritize and think systemically
- Adaptive and flexible to changing environment
- Compassionate and kind demeanor, grounded in Christian practice
Terms of Employment
- This position is with The Mustard Seed Street Church and requires a person who has made a Christian commitment.
- Must be in agreement with and willing to sign the Staff Code of Conduct
- This position reports to: Executive Director
- Term: Full-Time position
- Hours : 37.5 per week
- Must read and agree to follow The Mustard Seed Policies which is a living, changing document
- The Mustard Seed Street Church follows BC Employment Standards with regards to termination.
- Must provide an acceptable criminal record check, including the level of clearance required to work with vulnerable people