This full time position is responsible for overall administrative responsibilities of MCC Thrift & Gift as well as providing management support and training for all volunteers. This includes supporting volunteer recruiting, training and orientation as well as mentoring and supervision.
All MCC workers are expected to exhibit a commitment to: a personal Christian faith and discipleship; active church membership; and biblical nonviolent peacemaking.
- Familiarity with finance/accounting practices
- Self-motivated and willing to take initiative while at the same time willing to work as a team with the Thrift & Gift Managers, other staff and volunteers
- Sensitivity and awareness of cultural, racial, economic, and socially diverse communities
- Demonstrated ability to walk with people from diverse experiences and life situations
- Ability to create an atmosphere of a positive Christian presence within the shop
- Excellent interpersonal skills with people of all ages and backgrounds
- Willing and able to work with a variety of people in a friendly way
- Strong leadership, organizational and management skills
- Physical stamina and ability to lift heavy items
- Exerting 11 to 25 pounds of force frequently
- 6 or more hours of intermittent standing or walking in an 8-hour workday.
- Sitting may be required only intermittently and occasionally.
- Ability to make quick and thoughtful decisions
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Healthy balance of patience, humour and energy
- Heart for justice, active peacemaking and global understanding
- Strong computer skills – including Excel and accounting software
- Police vulnerable sector check (required upon hire)
- Legally able to work in Canada
- Physical stamina and ability to lift heavy items required
- Experience working with volunteers an asset
- Social work background an asset
- A valid Ontario Driver’s license (G)
- Awareness of second hand market, retail trends and merchandising
The role of Volunteer & Business Coordinator is responsible for providing support, coaching and training for volunteers in their various roles. This role also connects with community organizations, churches, schools, donors and shoppers in the further recruitment of volunteers, providing a meaningful community connection. This role oversees administrative aspects of the shop including bookkeeping.
The role of Volunteer & Business Coordinator is accountable to the General Manager.
MCC Thrift & Gift seeks to be a friendly, caring presence in the community, showing value and respect to all. Practicing and promoting faithful stewardship and care for God's creation and raising funds for MCC are also key components to the mission statement of this and other MCCO Thrift Shops.
MCC is a charitable organization that partners with churches and community organizations worldwide to walk with people who are disadvantaged. MCC supports activities that provide emergency assistance, reduce poverty, and promote healthy communities, sustainable living and alternatives to violence. As an internationally recognized NGO, MCC currently serves in 45 countries with 700 partners, 1000 staff and 40,000 volunteers.
- Communicate between volunteers and staff to keep team interconnected and consistent
- Manage volunteer recruitment process, including recruitment, training, interviewing, screening and orientation
- Maintain up to date and accurate volunteer records
- Facilitate group volunteer requests
- Develop and implement formal and informal volunteer recognition and appreciation initiatives
- Mentor staff to work effectively and cooperatively with volunteers
- Collaborate with volunteers and staff to meet needs of diverse volunteer community
- Provide coaching and encouragement to volunteers and patrons to develop meaningful connections
- Equip volunteers with tools and support for successful volunteer placement
- Engage in purposeful conversation, offering social and emotional guidance to volunteers and patrons
- Communicate regularly with volunteers through email, phone and in person
- Work closely with Mennonite Central Committee Volunteer Services Manager in various aspects of volunteer program
- Promote MCC mission and values with volunteers
- Be responsible for accounts payable and receivable
- Manage cash, deposits and daily reconciliation of account
- Keep well organized financial and business documentation with appropriate restrictions on access
- With the other Managers, assist in managing Silent Auction paperwork and reconciliation
- Assist with preparation and monitoring of budgets
- Oversee volunteer bookkeeper
- In consultation with the General Manager, assist in ordering supplies for the shop
- Work in cooperation with the MCCO SE Finance Manager
- Maintain Health & Safety Records
- Oversee countertop box & special donation programs
- Work with Management Team in the operation of the shop to ensure teamwork and a desirable working, volunteering and shopping environment
- Be proactive in promoting positive public, staff and client/donor relations
- Provide back-up support for other managers in their absence or as needed, including opening and closing of MCC Thrift & Gift
- Share the news about MCC Thrift & Gift and the network in the community
- Participate in MCCO orientations, provincial meetings, and annual meeting
- Participate in a local faith community, being willing to use his/her personal gifts within this community and model nonviolent peacemaking through respectful interaction with others
- Maintain a high level of integrity, reflecting Christian respect and Christ's unconditional love to those with whom you work, including colleagues, volunteers, partner agencies, the homeless and marginalized
- Answer inquiries about MCC from constituency and general public; communicate MCC's values, articulating the importance of MCC's criteria for workers, all of whom serve as representatives of the Mennonite and Be in Christ churches which support MCC
- Model nonviolent peacemaking through respectful daily interactions with staff and the public
Note- This posting closes on June 4, 2019