Since 1975 The Mustard Seed Street Church has been essential in fighting hunger and restoring faith to our community in Greater Victoria. Our operations are nearly 100 percent community funded and include Vancouver Island's largest Food Bank, a Family Centre, Hospitality programs, and an addictions recovery program at Hope Farm Healing Centre. We also offer church services for those seeking a place to belong and grow spiritually. Through these core programs we assist over 5,000 people each month with the help of more than 50 daily volunteers and many generous financial supporters!
About the Position:
The Director of Administration (DOA) is a senior management position providing administrative leadership at The Mustard Seed Street Church. As a member of the leadership team, the DOA is responsible for developing and providing the necessary administrative supports to help grow and sustain this thriving ministry serving Victoria’s working poor and at-risk populations. The DOA will provide human resource guidance and oversight to each ministry, manage the Finance and Administration Department, oversee Facilities, and participate in ministry planning and visioning.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Maintains and develops human resource systems and standardizes HR policies and procedures for employees and volunteers
- Oversees the development and implementation of an employee training and education framework
- Supervises HR staff
- Responsible for maintaining up to date job descriptions as well as leading job posting and recruitment initiatives
- Maintains and develops a system for the documentation of recruitment initiatives, interviews, and exit interviews
- Ensures employment standards compliance
- Oversees payroll, receivables, payables, monthly financial reports and statements, cash flow, investments and forecasting
- Supervises finance staff
- Accountable for the preparation of the annual budget in collaboration with executive and leadership team
- Oversees the preparation of materials for the annual external audit and assists the auditors as required
- Responsible for sourcing grants and writing applications for summer student and intern program funding in collaboration with leadership team
- Coordinates and maintains the Mustard Seed Policy and Procedures documents in consultation with leadership of all ministries
- Responsible for the maintenance and growth of IT infrastructure
- Supervises office manager
- Responsible for proper records and documents storage to maintain and comply with government regulations including BC Societies Act, CRA, WorkSafe BC, CBWC, etc.
- Responsible for the development and delivery of a capital asset management plan for all facilities
- Responsible for liaising with insurers and maintaining capital asset budget
- Provide supervision, direction and leadership in the Facilities area
- Participates in Director team meetings and provides leadership in management meetings as well as staff and volunteer meetings
- Develops and implements technology strategy plan
- Accountable and responsible for providing monthly financial statements to Executive Director
- Participates on the Board Risk Management Committee
- Special projects in support of the Executive Director’s mandate
- Degree in Accounting, Finance and/or Business Administration required, with preference for Business Administration and 10+ years in a leadership role in non-profit administration or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience in a service role within a church as well as Christian Ministry at a senior level
- Experience in working with individuals and groups from a wide range of socio-economic backgrounds
- Experience working with Board Committees
- Experience in Human Resources best practices and training strategies
- Demonstrated capability to assess, manage and develop Human Resources, with a commitment to positivity, and team engagement
- Strong ability to develop and foster inter-personal relationships
- Excellent oral and written communications
- Knowledge and experience in computer systems, database and modern communications methods and proven ability managing organizational IT systems
- Financial acumen.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, verbal and written communication skills.
- Adaptable, creative and flexible with ability to lead through change and to take positive initiative and provide recommendations.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Excellent conflict resolution skills and diplomacy.
- Ability to work under pressure with grace.
- Ability to receive constructive feedback.
- Ability to work in a team environment and as an individual.
- Strong and demonstrable work ethic.
- Responsible, honest and accountable.
- Compassionate and kind demeanor, and sense of humour.
Terms of Employment
- This position is with The Mustard Seed Street Church and requires a person who has made a Christian commitment.
- Willing to sign and adhere to a Statement of Faith
- Must be willing to sign the Mustad Seed Street Church Staff Code of Conduct
- This position reports to: Executive Director
- Direct Reports : 3
- Term: Permanent
- Hours : 37.5 hours/week
- Must read and agree to follow The Mustard Seed Street Church policies which are a living, changing document.
- The Mustard Seed Street Church follows BC Employment Standards Law for Terminations
- Must provide an acceptable criminal record check, including the level of clearance required to work with vulnerable people