Head of School (HoS)
Search facilitated by Nelson/Kraft & Associates Inc. for Langley Christian School
The board, staff, and educators of Langley Christian School (LCS) are committed to living out its mission: to educate students, equipping them to discover their gifts, develop Christ-like discernment, and seek their life’s calling. The organization has been progressing in this mission for over 60 years and its community of supporters are excited about the future, which includes predicted enrolment of 1500 students by 2021! Their story represents a committed base of parents and alumni who eagerly await the new Head of School to further the LCS mission and vision.
The Board of Directors is looking for a strong leader and dynamic ambassador to partner with them by providing strategic and spiritual leadership towards its mission and ministry. The Head of School (HoS) must astutely balance vision and strong financial health as the leadership and their supporters anticipate the future of impacting children and youth in a Christian educational environment. The HoS also has the responsibility and momentous opportunity to use his or her storytelling skills to draw donors and current and prospective strategic allies into playing integral roles in the ongoing, thriving health of LCS.
Overall Leadership Responsibilities
- Strategic Planning and Implementation: Drive efforts to achieve the strategic outcomes of all aspects of the organization that maintain alignment between all programs and the overall purpose and core values of the school. This specifically includes significant campaign development and involvement to raise funds (10 million +) for a third campus.
- Organizational Leadership: Develop, maintain, and enhance all aspects of the school ensuring a compelling, strong, and collaborative culture where staff and students experience great educational outcomes. Leadership will be marked by the pursuit of excellence, creative efficiency, and innovative development. We expect this to be accomplished through effective delegation, development and support of staff, and performance accountabilities.
- Board and Society Work: Develop and ensure a healthy relationship with the board and the society. It is incumbent by the Head of School to keep the Board informed of all financial and legal matters, and to work with the board members to accomplish healthy organizational life, the achievement of strategic outcomes desired, and an engaged relationship with the society of members.
- School Culture: Develop and maintain a school culture of grace, love, and safety that embodies the school’s purpose and core values. The Head of School will work directly with the Principals, Business Administrator, and Director of Development as the primary agents of school leadership.
- Financial Management: Work closely with the Business Administrator to ensure that there is a thoughtful budget development, accurate financial management, prudent risk management, and effective financial reporting to the Board and Society.
- Human Resources: Establish effective processes to recruit, assess, support, and manage staff with a purpose to provide excellence in all aspects of organizational health and development.
- Internal Communications: Implement and continuously develop effective communications with staff, students, board members, and all critical constituent members advancing the purposes and values of the school.
- Advancement of the School: Ensure financial sustainability and longevity of the school by cultivating relationships with the society, donors, foundations, and individuals seeking to contribute to a thriving community of alternative Christian education. Ensure that the school meets its financial goals.
- Community Outreach and Partnerships: The Head of the School is the face of the school to the external community. Although not the only face, the Head of School must be aware of the relationships being created, the relationships already created, and the relationships that can be created.
- External Communication: Implement quality, timely, and effective communications to the school’s full constituency, the community at large, and other key stakeholders.
- An all-out commitment to the mission: “Educate students, equipping them to discover their gifts, develop Christ-like discernment, and seek their life’s calling.”
- An all-out belief of the vision: “all aspects of life fall under the Lordship of Christ.” Therefore, to achieve its mission, LCS relies on God’s word as revealed in Creation and Scripture and strives to:
- Integrate faith with learning;
- Provide a quality educational program;
- Create a challenging and affirming learning environment;
- Free students to explore and examine all human endeavour within God’s creation;
- Educate all aspects of the child (spiritual, emotional, physical, social, aesthetic, intellectual);
- Promote and model social justice and stewardship;
- Empower students to become agents of positive change in the community.
- An all-out effort to achieve the strategic priorities agreed upon Spring of 2017 (and to help shape the next ones):
- A contagious environment of grace, love and safety
- Executing with excellence
- Long-term financial sustainability
- Expanding our reach and impact
- Devoted to Jesus and his mission in the world.
- Understands and is passionate about the legacy and character of Christian education embodied at LCS.
- Minimum of five years of relevant executive leadership experience.
- Proven innovative leadership.
- Master’s degree in a field relevant to the job description.
- Leadership experience in a large, successful fundraising campaign.
- Capacity to comfortably manage budget and financial processes
- Highly collaborative, results-oriented, adaptable, problem-solving self-starter who welcomes diverse feedback.
- Be a positive, inspiring, empowering leader of the board, staff, students, and community.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Technologically literate and competent with today’s leading digital tools and equipment.
- Experience in an innovative and entrepreneurial school preferred.
- Credentialed Teacher, preferred.
- Familiar with the Society of Christian School Society of British Columbia.
If you love God and young people, and believe that you have the energy, intelligence, imagination, and passion for undergirding the future of effectively educated and equipped Christ-thinkers then we want to hear from you.
Find further information on Langley Christian School at www.langleychristian.com
Application Deadline: February 1, 2019
Please note that only applications from Canadian residents will be considered at this time.
If you or someone you know, would like to start a confidential conversation about this opportunity or to receive a more detailed Opportunity Profile, please contact Mark Kraft and Larry Nelson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Nelson/Kraft & Associates Inc. is an executive search firm specializing in the recruitment of executive management and fundraising personnel in the charitable sectors. We work with a diverse group of not-for-profit organizations through the connection of colleagues in Vancouver, Calgary, Winnipeg, and Toronto.