Do you long to see ethnic diversity in the local church?
Join a staff team of ministry leaders who empower the congregation in many creative expressions of Christ’s mission in our neighbourhoods, city, and world.
WMB Church is a Christian community that is passionate about making a difference in Kitchener-Waterloo and beyond. We are a multi-ethnic, economically diverse, multi-site church with close to 1000 people engaging in services and programs each week. WMB’s mission is to make more and better disciples—calling people to a deeper relationship with Jesus. We delight in seeing people of all ages surrender their lives to Jesus and share their stories during our monthly baptism celebrations. Barnabas Missions is WMB’s expression of local outreach. Our community of disciples seeks Kingdom transformation in KW as we engage in local mission focussed on serving people who are marginalized—specifically those experiencing poverty, refugees, and new Canadians. In recent years, WMB’s refugee ministry has served over 200 refugee claimants.
The ideal Director/Pastor, Barnabas Refugee Ministry:
We are looking for an emotionally mature, ministry-minded leader who has a passion to mobilize and equip the congregation to walk alongside refugee claimants, and the vision to see congregants grow through mutual relationships with newcomers. The successful candidate will be a highly organized, relational visionary leader who thrives on building and leading a team of lay leaders and volunteers. You will have a strong desire to see people experience wholeness and community despite difficult circumstances, be able to navigate cultural and language differences, be creative in developing and streamlining systems and processes, and have a proven ability to recruit, disciple, and train lay leaders and volunteers. You will be part of the Barnabas Missions team, working collaboratively with other staff, under the direction of, and reporting directly to the Director, Missional Engagement.
Primary Position Responsibilities:
- Oversee WMB’s Barnabas Refugee Ministry including all aspects of practical refugee supports, administrative processes, and leadership development to support the ministry.
- Recruit, minister to, and equip a team of lay leaders to lead the Refugee Ministry as they recruit, train, and disciple Refugee Ministry volunteers.
- Oversee and develop healthy partnerships with individuals and organizations serving refugees (locally and globally); looking for ways to work together and mutually support one another. Work closely with our key partner, Compass Refugee Centre.
- Collaborate with lay leaders and staff to facilitate the healthy integration and discipleship of refugees who connect into the WMB Church community.
- Oversee a team of lay leaders who will provide language interpretation for non-English speakers during our main Sunday services and other events as needed.
- Using WMB’s policies and procedures, maintain a Refugee Ministry that is safe and welcoming for all those involved. Ensure alignment of policies with current Government guidelines.
- Strong English communicator in both oral and written forms – able to write formal communications and to navigate language barriers in writing and conversation.
- Proven ability to develop and lead a team, prioritize competing demands, and stay on top of communications and tasks to support your team and ministry participants.
- Able to make wise decisions in stressful and ambiguous situations.
- Experience in developing systems to support volunteer leadership and engagement in ministry.
- High cultural and emotional intelligence - able to work with a diverse group of people, negotiating relationships professionally and respectfully while holding people accountable to requirements of the church, denomination, and government.
- Proficient in Google Workplace suite, Microsoft Office suite and other church-related software
- Proficiency in Spanish or other languages is an asset.
- Must have a deep, growing personal faith in Jesus Christ and affirm the Confession of Faith of the Canadian MB Conference.
- Willing to become a Member of WMB Church including making WMB Church their church home.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher. Preference given to those with intercultural training and cross-cultural experience
- Proven track record of effective leadership, judgement and decision making
- Display strong moral character, honesty, humility and integrity
- Qualified to work in Canada and willing to relocate to Kitchener-Waterloo if needed
- Full-time (40-44 hours) with starting salary $40,000 based on experience
- Some flexibility in work hours, but will be required to work Sunday mornings
- Comprehensive benefits plan including RSP, extended health and dental
- Opportunity to apply to the CRA for Clergy Residence Deduction.
Please submit your cover letter and resume
Attention: Human Resources
245 Lexington Rd. Waterloo, ON N2K 2E1
Desired start date is May, 2022. Applications will be reviewed upon receipt. Posting will remain open until the position is filled.