Chief Executive Officer – Maplewood Care Society
Maplewood Care Society seeks an experienced Chief Executive Officer (CEO) to provide overall leadership, direction and administration in accordance with the Strategic Plan and in alignment with the Vision, Mission and Values of the organization. Reporting to the Board President, the CEO will model values that are in harmony with the values of Maplewood Care Society and its Board of Directors when representing the organization in the Fraser Valley and BC Health Communities and when building positive partnerships within the community and with stakeholders.
View our complete Opportunity Profile.
Maplewood Care Society is a non-profit society, providing quality residential care services in Abbotsford. The Society is devoted to uncompromising effort and provision of resources in maintaining a home-like atmosphere and support for residents’ health – their physical, mental and social wellness – while maximizing their individual independence. We operate two residential care facilities, Maplewood House and MSA Manor. Maplewood House has 122 employees and 78 beds and runs a day program for 17 community residents. MSA Manor has 50 employees and 34 beds. Employees are both unionized and contracted.
- We value and respect diversity in our clients, staff and care methodology, embracing all the needs of the members of our community.
- We value safety and commit to ensuring a healthy environment free from physical, emotional and spiritual
- We value individuality. Everyone has a story and we honour their journey.
- We value respect by carrying out all of our interactions in a manner that recognizes the strengths each person brings to our
Under the general direction of the Maplewood Care Society (MCS) Board, in alignment with the Vision, Mission and Values of the organization, and in accordance with the Strategic Directions Plan, the CEO provides overall leadership, direction and administration to MCS operations including all components of MSA Manor, Maplewood House long-term care, Day Program for Older Adults (DPOA) and caregiver support services, and all Society development and expansion. The CEO upholds appropriate conduct and the Society’s standards and boundary principles to safeguard both the integrity and reputation of the Society. The CEO carries out these responsibilities as follows:
- Assists the Board in its governance role through the provision of reports, draft policies, advice on Board procedural issues (rules of order), resource support to committees, and arrangements for Board
- Represents and conveys the values of MCS to all stakeholders.
- Develops, updates and implements a Board-approved Strategic Plan, aligning organizational and operational priorities with the Plan to achieve its goals within the approved
- Ensures a safe working environment for staff and a safe living and visiting environment for residents and
- Develops, updates and implements a Board-approved organizational
- Ensures that appropriate policies and procedures are in place to achieve effective Quality Improvement and Risk Management programs as well as optimal resource utilization throughout the organization.
- Directs the preparation of annual operating, capital and project budgets and long-range financial strategies that comply with Board expectations and generally accepted accounting principles, and that will achieve the objectives of the organization.
- Leads long-range planning initiatives and provides executive leadership to capital projects and
- Ensures that the organization is in compliance with all legal requirements arising from the MCS Constitution & Bylaws, legislation, regulations, municipal bylaws, contracts and agreements, and applicable government, health authority and licensing
- Establishes and maintains effective communication and relationships with MCS members, supporters, donors, health authorities, community and government agencies, other healthcare organizations, the media and the general public.
Duties & Functions
- Lead regular MCS senior leadership and other team meetings to address MCS priorities in relation to the Strategic Directions Plan, ensure the effective operation of the sites, programs and services, set the direction for site-and organization-wide issues; plan for upcoming opportunities, challenges and projects
- Ensure that the current senior leadership team and appropriate organizational structures are in place. Develop and maintain sound organizational plans and business practices, including delegation of responsibility, accountability and authority for the assigned function to the members of the senior leadership team. Evaluate the performance of the senior leadership team and other direct
- Lead the development process of annual budgets and financial strategies to ensure solvency and adequate resources for the delivery of care support services in the most efficient manner without compromising the quality of care and services.
- Through the MCS senior leadership team, ensure effective planning and development of resident care and client programs and services, ongoing staff education, adoption of “best practices” to achieve the best quality for the least cost and harmonization of policies and procedures across the organization.
- Promote a work-life culture that fosters harmonious working relations at senior leadership, administrative, supervisory, and front-line staff levels, and that respects the uniqueness of each site, program, and service. Maintain and support effective working relationships with Medical Coordinators, medical staff and contracted service providers. Ensure that all contractual, compensation and employee programs are aligned to effectively attract and train competent persons to deliver high-quality care and support services.
- Participate in Board and Committee meetings and activities, providing reports on short, medium and long-range plans, ongoing operations, financial status and projections, provincial and regional developments in healthcare, and any other issues relevant to the Board’s governance Interprets and implements policies and decisions approved by the Board.
- Ensure the ongoing development of continuous quality improvement (CQI) initiatives and risk management practices, consistent with the standards of Accreditation Canada, through the MCS senior leadership team, committees and policies.
- Consult with legal counsel, the senior leadership team and other resources to ensure compliance with all applicable legal requirements pertaining to the Society and Board, the operations and business dealings of the organization, MCS property, and the residents, clients and staff of MCS.
- Develop and maintain effective public relations initiatives, ensuring that the interests of MCS are advanced at Society, community, health authority, and political levels, and that the appropriate communications are maintained.
- Direct all fundraising and donor stewardship associated with the Society.
- Graduation from a Masters level program in Health Care and/or Business
- Qualifications for membership in the Canadian College of Health Leaders.
- Minimum of 10 years recent related experience in a senior executive position preferable in health care or the equivalent combination of education and business administration experience.
Personal beliefs and values that are in harmony with the values of Maplewood Care Society and its Board of Directors
Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated effective leadership, planning and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated effective written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective interpersonal working relationships with external contacts and the MCS Board and foster the same at all levels in a complex organizational and operational environment.
- Skilled in the use of technology required to carry out the duties and functions of the position.
Location: Abbotsford, BC
Application Deadline: October 30, 2020
Please note, qualified candidates for this search must be a Canadian resident at the time of application.
Please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
View our complete Opportunity Profile.
Nelson/Kraft & Associates Inc. is an executive search firm specializing in the recruitment of executive management and fundraising personnel in the charitable sector. We work with a diverse group of not-for-profit organizations through the connection of colleagues in Vancouver, Calgary, Winnipeg, and Toronto.