The Executive Minister will be a leader who inspires and leads pastors and congregations across the MCEC community of faith. Primary areas of responsibility will include strategic planning, promoting the health and spiritual vibrancy of Anabaptist congregations, and leading a staff team as they make disciples, grow congregations, and form leaders.
The applicant for this full-time position will be a strong team builder and a skilled communicator with excellent listening skills. They will work with the senior staff team to create and realize MCEC’s strategic plans.
Applicants will have a demonstrated commitment to Anabaptist theology and a love for Christ and the church. Experience with senior leadership teams and spiritual leadership would be an asset. Experience in intercultural settings and the ability to speak more than one language would be an asset.
The start date is flexible but preferably Summer 2020. Resumés are accepted until January 3, 2020. MCEC also welcomes nominations for this position.
For more information, the full position description (available November 21), or to submit an application or nomination contact:
Email: email@example.com | www.mcec.ca
Job Description Summary
(pending approval by the Executive Council)
As the lead staff person, the Executive Minister is in charge of the denomination of Mennonite Church Eastern Canada (MCEC) and is the spiritual leader of MCEC. The Executive Minister leads the mission of MCEC and works with the Executive Council to promote healthy and spiritually vibrant Anabaptist congregations that are Extending the peace of Jesus Christ by making disciples, growing congregations and forming leaders.
By the Executive Council on recommendation of a Search Committee
Accountability is to the Executive Council
- Responsible for performance of work to the Executive Council
- Supervised by the Moderator
- Maintains personal accountability through the Staff Covenant of Ethics
The Executive Minister will have the following qualifications:
- Demonstrated commitment to Anabaptist/Mennonite theology and practice, with a strong vision for leading the Mennonite Church and its leaders into more fully embracing the call to be a disciple-making church
- Membership in good standing in a Mennonite congregation
- Post-secondary education or equivalent work experience
- Senior Leadership experience is an asset
- Intercultural skills and experience, and the ability to communicate effectively in multiple languages is an asset
- Ability to travel frequently: regionally, nationally, and internationally
- Work with the Executive Council to create and implement MCEC’s mission, vision and strategic plan
- Network within the MCEC community of congregations toward the creation and implementation of MCEC’s mission, vision and strategic plan in service of MCEC congregations
- Provide vision and leadership to support MCEC’s goal to be an intercultural church
- Foster a spirit of community within MCEC by overseeing, reviewing and implementing MCEC’s ministry initiatives and collaborate with ministry partners
- Collaborate with other executive leaders in Mennonite Church Canada to foster a nationwide community of faith that shares resources and engages in a common mission that is regional, nationwide and global
- Lead and enable MCEC staff in implementing their respective roles in the support of MCEC’s mission
- Oversee the financial integrity and wellbeing of the organization so that MCEC is generously resourced for its mission by MCEC congregations
- Promote a healthy, safe, collaborative and spiritually vibrant culture within the MCEC staff and the organization as a whole that fosters learning and innovation
- Ensure that MCEC finances, administration, volunteers and policies are developed and deployed in a way that promotes and supports the MCEC mission
- Oversee the corporate due diligence of MCEC as an Ontario Not-for-Profit Corporation
Terms of Employment:
- FTE: Full Time
- Term: Initial three-year term with six months probation; renewable term(s) thereafter
- Salary: MCEC Staff Salary Grid – Level 6
- Benefits: Standard MCEC/MC Canada benefit plan
- Review: Annual or periodic review by the Executive Council