Communications and Development Manager
Position Profile, October 2019
Reports to: Executive Director
Status: Full-time Permanent
Compensation: Salary plus 5% RRSP payments, group benefits/extended health plan, and 3-weeks paid vacation
- ABOUT SALTS AND OUR MISSION
SALTS is a non-denominational Christian organization that provides youth mentorship on tall ships. Each year, 1700 young people (ages 13-25) receive “sail and life training” aboard one of our two schooners. SALTS Board, staff and crew members must be deeply committed to our mission: “to develop the spiritual, relational, and physical potential of young people through sail training, shipboard life and associated activities in a Christian environment.” SALTS requires agreement with our Statement of (Christian) Faith and Ethics for roles where this is a bona fide occupational requirement, including this particular role. SALTS currently has 21 full-time employees and an annual operating budget of ~$2.5 million with an additional $6.0 million capital project underway. To learn more about SALTS, please visit www.salts.ca.
Working in collaboration with the Executive Director, the Director of Development, and other team members, the Communications and Development Manager will coordinate fundraising and communications.
- Initiate, develop and manage communication and fundraising strategies to achieve overall organizational objectives; develop and execute internal and external communications and fundraising efforts to support new and ongoing programs
- Manage public and media relations, marketing and promotional plans, publication management; web site planning and monitoring.
- Coordinate public events for the Society
- Write copy for digital and print media
- DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Liaise with the Executive Director and other team members to create and execute an annual communications/promotion plan to ensure all sail training programs are full and that our fundraising goals are supported
- Represent and communicate our Christian mission to the public with accuracy and passion
- Manage and enhance our social media presence and marketing. Track our exposure and advertising performance.
- Create a cohesive and positive brand identity through content creation and management of our website using a CMS web editor.
- Manage brochures, documents, publications, advertisements, etc. Compile submissions, write articles, and layout design for Saltings E-newsletter.
- Manage SALTS promotional gear: track inventory, assess sales and product line changes, order from suppliers, organize storage and distribution
- Organize and manage events (e.g. trade fairs, ship tours, receptions, celebrations, etc.)
- Book speaking engagements for him/herself and/or other SALTS employees
- Manage photographs and video resources, and provide support through ghost writing as requested
- Keep current with technology, innovative marketing techniques, communications trends
- Establish and maintain contacts with print, radio, television and online media; ensure coordinated and positive media coverage; create media releases and articles to earn media/publicity
- Consult with Executive Director to develop communication strategies for crisis/issues management
- Develop cross-promotions with community partners with approval from the Executive Director
- Monitor and provide a timely response to inquiries via social media and email
- Receive, open, sort, stamp, and send mail (letters and parcels), answer phones for all misc. calls not triaged in the phone tree, greet office guests, order and organize office supplies, stock kitchen and cleaning supplies (some of these tasks may be delegated elsewhere when our staffing level increases)
- Identify, profile, and qualify prospective donors (individuals, foundations, corporations, government) according to their desire and ability to give (cash, shares, bequests, gifts-in-kind, etc.) to our capital or annual campaigns
- Initiate, build, manage, and cultivate relationships and communication with prospective, current, and past donors with efforts in proportion to the anticipated size of the contribution; track and follow-up on pledges to ensure fulfillment of them; manage public recognition strategies, ensure all donors receive personal contact each year; focus on 30-40 prospects at any given time and assist the Director of Development in identifying and cultivating relationships with major donor prospects
- Communicate with donors and prospective donors (and assist other designated SALTS contacts in doing so) regarding the SALTS mission, vision, plans, and outcomes and demonstrate that we are a worthy cause by building a strong case for support that is compelling to both heart and head
- When donor relationships are well established, request donations to meet the annual goals for the ongoing operations of the organization and capital campaign goals.
- Ensure donors and members are thanked for their contributions by their designated SALTS contact and ensure they feel valued and appreciated; ensure their donations are used as designated; inform members of membership renewal dates
- Track all interactions with constituents in our Salesforce database and in appropriate Salesforce reports and lists and manage our donor database
- Organize fundraising events if/when part of our strategies
- Promote opportunities to make planned gifts, especially bequests
- Manage programs and activities and represent SALTS in a way that aligns with the SALTS Statement of Faith and Ethics and our unique Christian mission, which are entrenched within the Constitution of SALTS
- Ensure all initiatives are based on and reflect the stated values of the Society
- Provide responsible financial stewardship of the Society’s resources.
- Work as part of a collaborative team to achieve stated goals
- Other duties as requested by the Executive Director
- Willing to participate occasionally in SALTS sail training programs (4-5 days at sea) to enable accurate representation of those programs or as relief crew as approved by the Executive Director
- Participate in and take turns leading Christian devotions and prayer each work-day morning
- Participate in meetings, discussions and decisions related to the mission, vision, strategic plans, and management of the organization
- After commencing employment, you may be asked to take a Marine Emergency Duties course and First Aid course (time and course fees paid by SALTS) to enable leading of ship tours at the dock during special events
4) APPLICABLE POLICIES
- a) Shoreside Policy Manual and official policy documents (available on the shared computer drive)
- b) SALTS Statement of Faith and Ethics
- c) Adherence to the ethical standards of the Association of Fundraising Professionals
- d) Criminal record check clearance must be provided prior to commencing employment and when requested thereafter
- e) Must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
- EXPERIENCE and EDUCATION
- A proven record of success in raising funds for non-profit organizations.
- A Certified Fundraising Executive (CFRE) designation is preferred but not required.
- Post-secondary education with at least an undergraduate degree preferred, ideally with emphasis in social sciences, marketing, business, communication, public relations, or journalism.
- Past SALTS program experience is an asset (not a requirement).
- Demonstrated successful experience in grant writing is an asset.
- Demonstrated successful experience in initiating, developing, implementing and/or operation of events is an asset.
- SKILLS AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
- Superior inter-personal skills both in person and on the phone; an ability to set people at ease and show genuine care; ability to relate to a wide range of individuals
- Excellent writing abilities and understanding of grammar, punctuation, tone, and various writing styles
- Written agreement with the SALTS Statement of Faith and Ethics whenever requested
- Ability to work with staff and clients in a supportive, respectful and caring manner.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of individuals.
- Ability to handle stress and emergencies in a calm, effective manner.
- High level of computer literacy including with databases, Microsoft office, and social media. Interest in and ability to keep up with relevant social media trends.
- An ability to think strategically and develop effective communication and marketing plans (the right messages through the right media to the right markets at the right moments).
- Ability to prioritize.
- Ability to work with little supervision while collaborating with others.
- Ability to handle stress and emergencies in a calm, effective manner.
- Must support and uphold the values of SALTS.
- An ability to model acceptable ethical standards, personally & professionally.