TIME COMMITMENT: Full Time, 37.5 hours weekly
LOCATION: Office located in Grimsby, Ontario; Remote Work option available
START DATE: Effective November 1, 2021
For over 50 years, Bible League Canada has been committed to doing missions differently. How? By strategically building extraordinary international partnerships with national ministries in over 40 countries, equipping local believers through Bible-centric discipleship programs to become champions for the Gospel, committed to reaching their own communities with the Living Word of God.
Bible League Canada diligently tracks each copy of God’s Word placed, connecting Canadian donor champions with global champions to see maximum impact and multiplying transformation.
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, and providing oversight to one direct report, the Director of Finance is responsible for the management of all the financial operations of BLC. This includes strategic ministry & financial planning, budget management, government & affiliation compliance, and ensuring the organization’s accounting procedures & reporting conform to the Canadian accounting standards for not-for-profit organizations. The incumbent should be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment and interacting with staff and stakeholders effectively and diplomatically.
Specific responsibilities within the above areas include:
Accounting Procedures - Transactional Processing for donations, legacy giving, daily banking, foreign exchange transactions, semi-monthly payroll processing.
Budget Management - Participate in the drafting and tracking of the team and ministry’s Strategic Plan, which includes setting the financial budget, in collaboration with Leadership Team. Ensure parameters such as balanced budget, Fundraising & Admin Ratio are all met. On-going monitoring of the budget after it has been approved.
Financial Reporting - Prepare monthly financial reports, annual reporting, commodity tax transactions and compliance, annual filing for government remittances, cash flow forecasts.
Risk Management - Continual review of the Internal Controls of financial systems to ensure that reasonable controls are in place and are working as they should. Develop, maintain, and address organizational responses to identified risks. Ensure CRA Compliance (Payroll, Religious Order, Charity operations. Commodity Tax).
Strategic Leadership - Actively participate with the Leadership Team in the development and execution of strategic plans, ministry goals, and team objectives. Provide leadership and analysis for Compensation Strategy and maintain/update compensation grids regularly. Advise hiring managers on appropriate compensation levels.
Supervise Accounting Associate - Weekly one-on-one meetings to ensure forward motion of the team goals. Answering questions and clearing queries from the Accounting Associate. Providing direction, oversight and follow up on delegated tasks.
Education and professional accreditation:
- University Degree, preferably in Finance or Administration
- Certification - Chartered Professional Accountant
- 5-7 years experience, preferably in the not-for-profit sector
- Experience collaborating within a senior management team
- Proven track record of government and affiliation compliance reporting
- Staff supervision experience is a definite asset
- Advanced Microsoft Office suite skills
Intermediate skills in QuickBooks (or similar financial system), payroll processing applications and presentation software
Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Exceptional attention to detail, with the ability to see the “big picture”
- Advanced organizational and time management skills
Interpersonal Skills and Personal Attributes:
- An active listener, able to absorb and organize large volumes of information quickly and accurately
- Flexible and adaptable to changing conditions, shifting priorities
- Able to multi-task, prioritize and work well in a busy environment
- Able to handle confidential information
- A self-starter with the ability to work independently as needed
- Reliable, with the ability to take the initiative, problem-solve & implement solutions
- Follower of Jesus Christ who wholeheartedly subscribes to Bible League Canada’s faith and lifestyle policy documents
- Knowledge of and a passion for Bible League Canada and its work
- In fulfilling your responsibilities, you will be required to pray for and minister to people who contact Bible League Canada either in person, or by phone or other electronic communication, in general inquiries, at conferences and events or fundraising activities.
Here’s why we think you will love joining Bible League Canada:
- Our ministry: All peoples. Everywhere. Transformed by the living Word of God.
- Our culture: Certified as a Best Christian Workplace-Flourishing category by the Best Christian Workplace Institute
- Our team: Supportive, encouraging and positive environment
- Our commitment: Team building, professional development, personal growth
- Our plan: Competitive compensation, RRSP matching, outstanding benefits package, flexible work arrangements
Bible League Canada would like to thank those who have applied; however, only short listed candidates will be contacted.