This 37.5 hour/week (5 days per week) full-time position is responsible for keeping up with inventory stocking in a fast paced, high capacity processing warehouse type setting. Retail & Processing Support Worker will prepare goods for presentation and sale in the retail space in response to retail demand. Also supports retail operation and repurposing operation as required.
The Retail & Processing Support Worker will keep up with customer demand by sorting second hand donations to stock the retail floor in a fast paced, high volume second-hand store. They will work alongside volunteers in the flow of inventory from the warehouse to the retail space in collaboration with the MCC rePurpose Centre Management Team.
Work schedules will include one Saturday shift per month (9 am – 5 pm) and one Thursday evening shift (12 pm - 8 pm) per month.
The Retail & Processing Support worker is accountable to the MCC rePurpose Centre Production Manager.
All MCC workers are expected to exhibit a commitment to: a personal Christian faith and discipleship; active church membership; and biblical nonviolent peacemaking.
- Self-motivated and willing to take initiative while at the same time willing to work as a team with the MCC rePurpose Centre Assistant Managers, other staff and volunteers
- Ability to create an atmosphere of a positive Christian presence within the rePurpose Centre
- Experienced with high volume material flow processes requiring rapid decision making
- Able to rebalance work priorities on-the-fly
- Strong interpersonal skills with people of all ages and backgrounds and willing to work with a variety of people (both paid and volunteers) in a friendly way
- Exerting 25 to 50 pounds of force frequently
- Requires about 6 or more hours of intermittent standing or walking in an 8-hour workday
- Ability to repeatedly bend or stoop to floor level shelves and able to reach upper shelves with use of a stool or a ladder when necessary
- Sitting may be required only intermittently and occasionally
- Basic computer skills with some familiarity using the Internet
- Healthy balance of patience, humour and energy
- Heart for justice, active peacemaking and global understanding
- Police check will be required once hired
- A valid Ontario Driver’s license and Driver’s Abstract
- Must be able to legally work in Canada
- Experience operating cash register and debit/credit terminal
- Customer service experience
- Awareness of second hand market, retail trends and merchandising especially relating to clothing
- Experience working with volunteers
- Work closely with MCC rePurpose Centre management team to ensure a positive and productive team environment
- Sort donations, unpack donations, stock shelves, and any other warehouse task as required
- Large volume of clothing sorting required along with hanging clothing and organizing merchandise for retail floor
- Assist the Retail Manager by covering for volunteer cashiers, re-positioning displays, creating displays, and other retail tasks as required
- Supply and support general production efforts by moving pallets, removing recycling, garbage, etc.and maintaining a clean warehouse space
- Operate clicker press machine (high capacity material cutter)
- Assist with re-purposing activities as required
- Assist with daily kitchen clean up as required
- May be required to operate manual pallet jack to move skids, operate tipper machine to dump gaylord bins/pallet box and operate battery powered pallet stacker (certification will be provided)
- Steel-toed shoes required for tasks requiring use of equipment
- Share the news about MCC Thrift Depot and the network in the community
- Participate in a local faith community, being willing to use his/her personal gifts within this community and model nonviolent peacemaking through respectful interaction with others
- Maintain a high level of integrity, reflecting Christian respect and Christ's unconditional love to those with whom you work, including colleagues, volunteers, partner agencies, the homeless and marginalize.
- Model nonviolent peacemaking through respectful daily interactions with staff and the public
Please apply directly through the MCC Ontario Site.